For 12 Serving(s)
- 4 lb. CHICKEN, RINSED*
- 12 cups COLD WATER
- 1 Tbsp. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR**
- 1 ONION, PEELED AND QUARTERED
- 3 tsp. SEA SALT
- 3 large CARROTS, PEELED AND CUT INTO 2h CHUNKS
- 1 large PARSNIP, PEELED AND CUT INTO 2h CHUNKS
- 4 stalks CELERY, CUT INTO 2h CHUNKS
- 1 generous handful FRESH PARSLEY
- 1 generous handful FRESH DILL
Chicken Soup Directions
- In a large pot, combine chicken, water, vinegar, onion and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to medium and keep soup cooking at a gentle boil for 1 hour with lid on and slightly uncovered.
- Remove any scum that has formed on surface of soup. Add carrot, parsnip and celery and continue cooking for another hour.
- Add parsley and dill and continue cooking for 30 more minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and separate meat from bones. Set aside to serve in the soup, or save for a later time.
* Be sure to remove any metal/plastic tags from chicken before cooking.
** The purpose of the vinegar is to draw calcium and other minerals out of the bones, making an even more nutritious soup.
*** For best results, allow for 2.5 hours of cooking time.
Copyright © 2013 AvivaAllen.com. All Rights Reserved.