For 1 people
- 1 + 1/2 cups RAW BUCKWHEAT, RINSED
- 3 cups WATER
- 3/4 tsp. SEA SALT
- 2x 14 oz. cans UNSALTED BLACK BEANS, DRAINED AND RINSED
- 1 cup WATER
- 1/2 tsp. SEA SALT
- 1/2 tsp. CHILI POWDER
- 1/4 tsp. GARLIC POWDER
- 1/4 tsp. GROUND CINNAMON
- 3 + 1/2 lbs. SWEET POTATOES (approx. 4-5 large sweet potatoes)
- 1/3 cup RICE OR COCONUT MILK
- 1 Tbsp. UNREFINED COCONUT OIL
- 1/4 tsp. SEA SALT
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Casserole Directions
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place whole sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until very soft (depends on size of potatoes).
- While potatoes are baking, combine bottom layer ingredients in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine middle layer ingredients in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Grease a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with a bit of coconut oil. Pour in the bottom layer (buckwheat), using a spatula to spread evenly in the dish. Let this sit for at least 5 minutes, then add the middle layer (beans) and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- When sweet potatoes are soft, remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Scoop out inside of sweet potatoes into large bowl and combine with remaining top layer ingredients. Mash well with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the top layer (mashed sweet potato) to baking dish and spread out evenly and gently with spatula.
- Place dish in oven. Bake for 15 minutes and serve.
If not serving right away, save the final step (#8) until right before serving, but allow 30 minutes to fully reheat.
Copyright 2013 AvivaAllen.com. All Rights Reserved.